Monday, August 13, 2018

Of Dreams and Dragonflies

Red and Orange Dragonfly

For the past several weeks, I have been seeing dragonflies everywhere, often two or three times a day. I even had one hovering right outside of the window where I sit to work at my desk. He seemed to be trying to get my attention as if to say, "Hey! Look up! The world is out here, not in there!" That one really freaked me out.

Never discounting repeated sightings of my non-human brothers and sisters, thanks to all that I have learned from the Native teachers in my life, I pulled out my handy book of animal totems and meanings to reacquaint myself with the symbolism around the dragonfly.

When a dragon fly flies into your life, it is there to tell you that change is coming. It is telling you to live your life to the fullest which may mean "changing" habits that keep you stuck. It also declares that it it time to make that decision you have been putting off ... it's time to move on.

I have to admit, I have been in something of a funk lately. The endless days of rain continue in earnest. This morning, for instance, the rain came down so hard that the buses and trucks driving by were sending up walls of water. Just like my winter time blues that usually hit sometime in February or March, these summer time blues are a new experience for me and I'm letting them take the joy out of my every day experience. It has also manifested some writer's block around a new and challenging project I was working on. Dragonfly says that I need to create some new habits to get me through the dark days. For example, if I can't get out and walk without drowning, I can put on some good dance music and boogy away the blues. I can put on country music videos and sing along. I can up my yoga practice to something more challenging. By the time I'm done, hopefully my writer's block will have dissolved as well and the stream of inspiration will be flowing again. Be the change, baby, be the change.

I love it when Mother Nature sends me messengers to remind me that she is way smarter and wiser than I am. Let's face it, she's had more practice. Guess it's time to find that new Keith Urban video I like. I can dance and sing at the same time. Then I'll sit down and go back to work. However, when the rain finally stops, I'll be keeping one eye out for my little winged friend, just in case he's not done with me just yet.

And so it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment