Monday, June 15, 2020

The Color of Happiness




I threw open my curtains this morning and was greeted with this beautiful sight. All the rain we had a few weeks ago, followed by cool nights and warm, sun-filled days had produced a lush pallet of greens for as far as the eye can see. The hues ranged from crisp green lawns, to the grey-blue spikes of a pine tree, to the variegated leaves on the various trees and shrubs in front of the houses up and down the block. I knew that I had to get out there and take it all in up-close and personal!

If someone were to ask me what color I associated with the word happy I would have to say green. Green reminds me of spring, and summer, and gardening, and all the things in nature that I love. It reminds me of picking fresh herbs from the pots on my windowsill when I'm cooking and how good that smells. It reminds me of walking barefoot in the grass. It reminds me of happy times digging in my garden and watching the bunny family out for a stroll and searching for breakfast. It just makes me smile.

Walking down the block there were people out cutting their lawns or doing other yard work. One young couple were actually chopping wood in the side yard for their fire pit. Another older couple were admiring the new fronts steps that were going in and wondering if they were going to like the railings they picked out. Stopping to chat with them for a minute (safe distance, of course), we came to the conclusion that change wasn't always a bad thing. Look at what it has done to the neighborhood, the lady said. Most of the neighbors were always friendly, but lately we're all outside sprucing up our homes and yards and calling to each other as if we were long lost friends that hadn't seen each other in ages. Maybe we are. All I can say is that all that green is making us all a lot happier these days.

As for my own little garden:



My herbs are doing very nicely and my Cabbage Patch garden fairy (her name is Rose) assures me that all is ready for picking! How happy can a girl get?

And so it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment