Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Ask, And Ye Shall Receive





Even though I love tending my little tabletop garden, I can't help but remember all the enjoyment I got from my big garden years ago. I even loved going out there early in the morning while the dew was still on the ground to weed as the birds sang the day awake. If I sat very still for a while, my little bunny neighbors would venture out to nibble at the edges of the vegetable plot. I wasn't the type of gardener who had a fit when a rabbit, or a squirrel, or other critter helped themselves to a little nibble here and there. I was only growing food for myself. It was Mother Nature's gift to me, so I passed the gift on to others.

Now I have a chance to do that again. Our church has rented two raised garden beds at a local urban garden site created and managed by VINES, an organization that creates urban gardens for those who don't have access to fresh, organic produce or the means to grow it for themselves. Our plots will be used to grow food that will be used at Shepherd's Supper, a free, weekly meal made and served to anyone and everyone in the community who needs a good, hot meal. We've been doing it for years and our numbers have grown, especially since COVID. What started out as a sit-down meal for 50 or 60 has grown into a take-out only meal for close to 300. Even with donations from CHOW and other places, plus our own tight budget, fresh produce would be lovely. In addition, what we don't use will be make available to anyone who can use it.

I suppose I should be used to having my prayers answered in unusual ways by now,  but when it happens, it always surprises and delights me. I wished for a garden I could play in again and share with others. Before it was just with my animal neighbors. Now it will be with my human neighbors as well. I can play in the dirt again, weed, water, and listen to the birds sing the day awake again. Ask, and Ye shall receive. Absolutely!

And so it is. 






No comments:

Post a Comment